Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Sweet and Sour Meatballs

Howdy!

So, this is probably my all time favorite recipe. It is a classic that my mom use to make all the time. Now, I love to make it whenever I can. There are two ways to prepare this: easy and hard. There is no link to this recipe since it is a really simple family recipe. I'm sure families everywhere have this recipe so it is not a secret! Here is what you need:

  • Meatballs (You can either buy frozen meatballs (easy) or ground beef to make your own (hard))
  • One jar grape jelly (regular sized jar. Don't go crazy and get the massive ones)
  • One jar chili sauce (comes in one size, I believe. Just need one)

1. If you plan on making your own meatballs, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Make medium sized meatballs. The smaller the meatballs, the shorter the cooking time. The larger, the longer. You get the idea.
3. Once you make your meatballs, cook on a baking sheet for about 20 minutes (for medium meat balls).
4. In a large pot, add the grape jelly and chili sauce. Set to low. You want to melt the jelly and let both mix into a yummy sauce!
5. Once the meatballs are done, use tongs to remove them from the greasy baking sheet and place them in the pot with the sauce.
6. Let the sauce and meatballs simmer together for about 15 minutes, to get a good flavor in the meatballs. 
7. Serve hot!


Simple, right! If you plan on using frozen meatballs (I use Food Lion brand), then just follow the directions below!


1. Place grape jelly and chili sauce in large pot. Simmer until jelly is melted and both are mixed well.
2. Add frozen meatballs to sauce mixture.
3. Simmer for about 25 minutes. (You can cook frozen meatballs in the sauce until they're cooked. So easy).
4. Serve hot!


Even easier! I usually serve this with some garlic/cheese bread and some steamed veggies. If I am feeling starchy, I'll throw in some mashed potatoes. We have tons left over from Easter so those are getting added to the meal tonight!


*Note: This makes TONS of sauce. I usually make about 3 lbs. of meatballs and I still have sauce left over. However, I did mix the leftover sauce with ground beef to season meatloaf the next night. It turned out pretty good. So, if you don't use all the sauce, use it in another recipe! You can always save this for another meal. It gets very thick when cold, so I suggest reheating it over the stove for optimal reheated goodness!

*Second Note: If making your own meatballs, I have cooked them in a table top toaster oven (is that what they're called these days? I don't know lol. Go to this link to see what I mean!). This is favorable for less grease. It has the built in drainage pan so when the meatballs cook all the grease is drained into the bottom of the pan. This is easier to handle than a baking sheet with sloshing grease. Just an idea if you're prone to messes!

Let me know what you think!

Rebecca :)

No comments:

Post a Comment